Redistricting is the once-a-decade process of redrawing the political boundaries for elective offices after the U.S. Census. Following the 2020 Census, California reduced its congressional seats by one to 52 so it could accurately reflect the state’s population. Draft maps of the new district lines are available online.
The North Bay-North Coast 2nd Congressional District represented by San Rafael Democrat Jared Huffman essentially remains as it is now. This keeps the District centered on the coast where there’s a deep interest in environmental protection and fisheries. Show your support for the Russian River watershed and ocean by quickly providing feedback online.
While the maps are good, there is still room for improvement. The Karuk Tribe has requested that the Redistricting Commission preserve their ancestral territory within the North Coast district. You can read their letter to the Commission here.
The Karuk Tribe are critical stakeholders to protect the Klamath River and to restore historic salmon fisheries.
1. Go to https://www.wedrawthelinesca.org/contact.
2. Select option to give feedback on Commission’s draft maps.
3. Provide input on the North Coast District.
4. Thank the commissioners for preserving the North Coast Congressional District because it preserves a distinct community of coastal watersheds.
5. Select the coastal counties of Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, Sonoma, and Marin.